An update on the build

Those of you that have been following the blog for awhile will know about this home owner/builder thing that Kane and I are doing.

For those that haven’t, here’s the short version:

Kane (my darling hubby) and I bought this land, up a mountain, on the edge of the Yarra Valley. The plan was to live in a converted shed for a year or so while we built a house… (You can catch up on the rest of the story here —>part 1. part 2. part 3.part 4. part 5. )

A little slice of our mountain view.
Fast forward a bunch of years and two kids; and the house is still very much a work in progress.

Where we’re at now.

Spring weather and longer days mean more work around here. Kane’s day starts as soon as he gets up, he’s usually outside before the kids and I get up. He usually comes in so we can have breakfast together, then he’s back to the building site and I won’t see him till sometime in the afternoon. When the weather is nice and the kiddies can play outside then I try to come out for a couple of hours and help out or do stuff in the garden. His work day doesn’t usually finish until around 7.30/8pm, he won’t come inside until it’s too dark to do anything else outside.

It’s long days, and really hard, physical work, but it has to be done and it will all be worth it in the end.

 

                                                             Kane working on the chimney.

We try to take time out to do fun stuff together and try and get to most family occasions, but it’s a balancing act. Every day spent doing something else, is a day further away from having a finished house. We often have to choose between going to an event and seeing people we’d love to catch up with, but often that means wasting a day of good weather and falling further behind schedule.

                                                        But there’s always time for some fun

After the ongoing dramas with the renderer we hired to do the outside, we have decided to cut our losses and get someone else to finish it. The new guy starts this week, so we’re trying to fix up anything that needs fixing up so that he can come and do the final coats that need doing. I won’t even begin to tell you about the problems we’ve had with the original renderer, but it is taking a long time to fix up everything that needs doing so we can finish the outside and move on to starting the inside.

Some of the many cracks in the render that need filling before the final colour coat goes on.

That is going to be huge milestone. To have it properly to lock-up and all the external stuff totally done will be amazing.

Now that Carter is a bit older and is a little bit happier to play independently or with his big sister, I’m looking forward to being a bit more hand-on with the next stage of building.

The kidlets enjoying some play time in the mud!
So, that’s what we’ve been up to the last couple of months.

 

***edit*** its kind of funny to think that I originally wrote this post three years ago for my old website….and its still COMPLETELY accurate! We’re still having problems with the render, we’re still struggling to find enough hours in the day to get anything done, and obviously the house is still not finished!

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.